Working home base is not less challenging than working in an office. Yes, we do miss the traffic and all the fuss just to get to work on time; but working at home is not less stressful and can be very challenging especially as time progresses.
Just like everything else, this line of work also has disadvantages as much as advantages. But to those who are starting out with this venture or plan to try it out, this article may help you deal with all the challenges such an occupation brings.As a home based worker, there are ideas people have about your profession.
- Some friends see you as the person they can easily disturb.
- Some people believe you can always go to a certain place any time due to your schedule flexibility.
- And some believe you can easily rest since the bedroom is just a few steps away.
While some points to these claims may be true, this doesn’t mean it’s very much applicable.
- We can’t always entertain any person who knocks in our door, and if we do let a friend in we may not always be there to entertain…nor can they easily get our attention.
- We may have flexible schedules but trust me when I’d say I’d rather spend time sleeping in my bedroom than going out…and if I do go out it would be a scheduled day off (or days off) away from all the things that can get me home fast and tempt me to turn on my computer or check my emails.
- And while the bedroom may be a few steps away from my work desk, rest is so out of the question until I get to do what needs to be done. Trust me even as I close my eyes, work still keeps creeping in my head just like solving math problems.
Working home base requires further discipline. It requires a person to learn focus and set his own time. Friends should understand you can’t be disturbed and that your home is also your office… if they plan to visit they should tell you ahead of time and when. And for those who think they can just call you well they have another thing coming… you can’t always say yes. In fact why not tell them to come to you instead and you’ll give 30 minutes of your time.
There’s a time for relaxation and a time for work; and being organized keeps you focused and even pumped up for work.